Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Adventures of NyQuil.

Welcome to my first Enchilada Tuesday post! Or whatever we're calling Tuesdays.

Sunday was a long day for me. I was gone all day, and the entire day I was surrounded by people.

I love people. But I find them exhausting.

I got home around 9:30pm Sunday night and crashed.

Considering how tired I was, it was surprising how long it took me to fall asleep. Like, maybe an hour. And when I finally did fall asleep, all I dreamed about was people. No storyline. Just people.

And then around 1:30am, I woke up. And every time I closed my eyes, I saw people. People everywhere.

I fell back asleep and woke up again an hour later. After 30 minutes of tossing and turning (and seeing people inside my head whenever I closed my eyes), I decided to get some water and take some Tylenol for my headache, thinking that might help.

15 minutes passed and nothing had happened. Sometimes when I can't sleep, getting up and doing something for a few minutes helps. So I pulled out my phone and scrolled through Facebook, Instagram, and checked my email.

Nothing really interesting happens on social media at 3 in the morning.

So then I tried sleeping again. But to no avail. I was extremely tired and wide awake at the same time.

Finally at around 4:00 I was so frustrated that my alarm was going off in two hours and I had hardly gotten any sleep. I briefly googled "insomnia cure," but mostly just got results for how to prevent insomnia in the future...not, like, how to fall asleep right now.

So I turned to the next best thing: NyQuil.

I was hesitant since I don't have a cold. I considered whether or not there would be any negative side effects to taking cold medicine when I was perfectly healthy. I decided I didn't care; sleep was more important.

I took a full dose (I was concerned half wouldn't do the trick), and fell right asleep. I slept soundly until 6:30 (I overslept slightly, but it wasn't a big deal).

{Via.} Except it was actually 4 hours. After 2 hours of sleeping, but whatever.

Here's the thing about NyQuil: It lasts for 6 hours. It's not meant to be taken for a two hour nap. So when I woke up two and a half hours later, the NyQuil was still in effect.

I don't know if you've ever tried to do stuff while you're on NyQuil, but it's not really that easy.

First, I got up and started walking around my room like I was drunk. I definitely would not have passed a sobriety test.

I managed to get ready without falling over (or asleep), and then I literally just sat down for 15 minutes because I was so out of it. I didn't even make my bed.

When I left, I grabbed a chocolate PopTart to go as opposed to a strawberry one. I thought chocolate would be more likely to wake me up.... It made sense at the time.

Driving was an interesting experience. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to drive when you're drugged up on NyQuil. I plugged in my phone and blared Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. Nothing like loud rock music to keep you from falling asleep on the road.

I made it to work in one piece. I was disoriented and drowsy until about 10:30. I definitely kept getting lost trying to find my office (we just switched offices around). I also couldn't form coherent sentences. I almost wished a co-worker happy birthday before realizing that it wasn't her birthday. (In my defense, it is coming up and another co-worker did have a birthday today. I just got a little confused.)


The moral of this story is: NyQuil is dangerous stuff. Handle with care.


  1. Kayle, Kayla, Kayla!

    And Enchiladas? Hmm.

    Please be careful if you're gonna be DUI-ing in the future! :-)

    1. Enchiladas is a reference to my previous post where I talk about the different series I'll be doing. I don't just randomly add the word enchilada in my posts ;)