Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Deck the Halls with Lots of Turkey.

It's been awhile since I've been here. A lot has happened since my last post in May. I am now married. I have a new job. I bought a house. The Cowboys are #1 in the NFL. Just about everything has changed, and I'll get to all of that, I promise. But today, I want to talk about a highly controversial issue facing all of us that I think really needs to be addressed.

Christmas before Thanksgiving.

Even the pilgrims had an opinion.

The holidays are upon us (and, ironically, I just legally changed my name yesterday so I guess you could say my "Holiday season" just ended??), and with that comes lots of joy, food, and of course, debating about when it is acceptable to start thinking about Christmas.


Many people think any and all things Christmas related should wait until after Thanksgiving. I totally get that. Thanksgiving is a great holiday that has an especially great meaning for our country, plus being thankful is always a good thing, so we should definitely let Thanksgiving have its day apart from Christmas.

On the contrary, many people think that Thanksgiving is part of the Christmas season, and therefore it all goes together. I understand this, too. If you're going to put two of the biggest holidays of the year that close to each other, they're going to get lumped together into one big season. 

I used to be very against anything Christmas before Thanksgiving. Now, it doesn't bother me so much. Personally, I still wait for Thanksgiving before decorating or baking for Christmas. But there is one area where I find myself just being unable to wait once November hits...

Christmas music.

I can't not listen to Christmas music this time of the year. I held out all the way until yesterday before turning on my Spotify Christmas playlist this year, and my only regret is not doing it sooner. It felt so right.

I don't care if you find that despicable. I don't care if you think less of me because of it. But before you judge me, let me first ask you this question: what else am I supposed to listen to this time of year??

Listen, I get that Thanksgiving should have its time to shine, but if Thanksgiving really cared that much about being the center of attention, it should have come out with its own music. I can hold off on Christmas baking, because Thanksgiving has plenty of baking that needs to happen. I can hold off on Christmas decorating, because I can easily decorate for Thanksgiving. But while I'm doing my Thanksgiving baking and decorating, I want to listen to something festive. AND THERE IS NO THANKSGIVING MUSIC.

Maybe people wouldn't listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving if Thanksgiving music was a thing. I would TOTALLY listen to Thanksgiving music if I had the option. Someone needs to get on that.

(Also, Thanksgiving movies. We need to get on that, too. One can only watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving so many times.)

Anyway, that's just my two cents. What about you? Where do you stand on the whole Christmas-before-Thanksgiving issue?

Let me know what you think in the comments. I'll just be over here baking a pumpkin pie while rocking out to O Holy Night. 

No comments :

Post a Comment