Saturday, January 2, 2016

A Belated New Year.

I've been wanting to write this post for days but couldn't find the motivation to start. 

Usually when I write my new year's post, I am able to link to all the posts I've written throughout the year and highlight my favorite moments, but I have really dropped the ball on blogging this year. I feel so behind and just the thought of writing this post was discouraging to me.

It's not that nothing has happened this year. SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED THIS YEAR. I guess I just got so caught up living my life I forgot to write about it. That's not really a bad thing, but I really do enjoy blogging. I just have a habit of feeling bad or like I've let people (mostly myself) down when something big happens and I don't write about it. But, I've been so bored all day and have officially run out of excuses not to do this, so I'm biting the bullet and FINALLY doing my 2015 recap (which is a good post to start back up with anyway, since I missed posting the majority of 2015).

I know it's a little late, but better late than never, right?

I'll start with my top 5 moments from 2015!


5. Moving out.

In August, I moved out of my parents' home for the first time. I moved in to a house with 4 other girls, and living with them has been a lot of fun. Obviously I miss some things about my parents' house (like not paying for groceries, electricity, water, rent...), but it has been a fun adventure and I feel like I'm 1000 times more responsible now. 

My new room!

4. Turning 22.

I turned 22 this year! I spent the first half of my day with my students at school where I was showered with gifts and love. After work, I spent some time with Aaron before joining my family at the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. After dinner, my family came over for a bit and I got to show them my new house and open presents. Aaron and I ended the day with a very cold swim with my best friend and her boyfriend. It was definitely one of my favorite birthdays!

Me with the boots Aaron got me. :)

3. Thanksgiving in Alabama.

Every other year, my family goes to Alabama for Thanksgiving where my mom's sister and her family live. They have a beautiful house on the lake and it is always a lot of fun. This year, it was even more special because Aaron got to join us! 

In the backyard.

2. My new job.

I mentioned in one of the few posts I did write this year that I was starting a new job as a 3rd grade teacher at a local private, Christian school. This job could not have been a more perfect fit for me. I absolutely love it there. I have incredible co-workers, wonderful students, and even a positive relationship with the parents. 

 My new classroom.

1. Aaron.

In my last two posts I also talked about my boyfriend, Aaron. Our first date was New Year's Eve last year, so we actually dated throughout all of 2015. By far my favorite moment of the year was when he asked me to be his girlfriend in March. Saying yes to that has changed my life in such a great way. He is a huge blessing to me!

On New Year's Eve, re-enacting our first date.

As you can see, 2015 was a year of change for me. New job, new house, new boyfriend, and other things that didn't make the list. These things were hard for me at first, because I loathe change. But fortunately, they mostly turned out to be good changes!

However, 2015 was also a year of loss, for me and so many others. Earlier in the summer, my family lost my uncle to cancer, and then in October, my precious dog passed away suddenly. 


I know many others who lost loved ones this year as well. Though we move on from the year 2015, we never forget those who did not. They will always hold a special place in our hearts for all the years to come.

I've mentioned before I have a thing with fresh starts. It's why I like Mondays, it's why I like mornings, and it's why I like the new year. It's like everything resets and you have brand new opportunities to take advantage of. I have no idea what 2016 has in store for me, but I can't wait to find out!

Maybe I'll cross a few things off my bucket list, since I apparently crossed nothing off this year. Maybe I'll write more than 4 blog posts. Maybe I won't. We'll see!

May God shower you this year with blessings and challenges. Happy New Year!

No comments :

Post a Comment