Saturday, December 31, 2016

2016: My Favorite Year Yet.

It's my 3rd favorite holiday!

First is Christmas, then Thanksgiving, and then New Year's is third! (If you're wondering, Valentine's day is fourth and July 4th is fifth.)

I love New Year's for several reasons: 1) it's just a fun time to stay up late and celebrate with friends, 2) my first date with my now-husband was on NYE, and 3) as I've mentioned before, I love new beginnings! The beginning of a new year is a great way to have a fresh start with new goals, plans and adventures. 2016 was a really big year that will be hard to top, but that certainly isn't going to stop me from trying!

I know I was MIA from the blog for most of 2016, but that's just because I was busy living in the moments instead of writing about them. And as much as I love blogging, it was really a nice break and definitely much needed. There was so much that happened this year, but now that I'm back, I think it's time for a recap of my year, going (somewhat) chronologically.


My year started off on a lower note. At the end of 2015 I was wrapping up my first semester of teaching at my dream job, when all the staff was told that the school would not be reopening for the 2016-2017 school year. That meant I was going to be starting 2016 off doing what I hoped I would never have to do again: job hunting.

That was definitely a bummer, but I was a lot less anxious this time around than I had been the previous two years. God had provided a job for me both times before, and I knew this time would be no different. And, of course, it wasn't.

Fast forward to June when I was hired as a 3rd grade math and science teacher at a charter school in Arlington. It was a rough transition (as it usually is for me with a new job), but after 4 months being at this school, I feel that it is a great fit! And everyone is so nice, which is a huge blessing. I am grateful that God led me to this job!

Now rewind back to January. My Christmas present to Aaron last year was two tickets to the Cowboys vs. Redskins game on January 3rd. It was the first time either of us had been in the stadium, and (despite the loss) we had a great time! It was an amazing experience and we decided to try to go to a game every season.


March brought one of the lower points of my year when my grandmother passed away on Easter Sunday. Definitely one of the harder times, but my family is grateful that she is back home with her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

May holds one of my favorite memories as it is the month we got engaged! On May 15th, Aaron asked me to be his wife and I, of course, said yes! The day was absolutely wonderful -- you can read about it here.


The summer months were filled with wedding planning, job searching, and house hunting. Of course, you already know I found a job in June, and in July, we signed a contract on a house! We closed in August and Aaron moved in shortly after. Now, we're homeowners!

Also in July, my parents found a baby kitten abandoned in a bush and we adopted her! She lives with Aaron and me now. Her name is Nova. (Nicknames: Nova Scotia, Novacane, Supernova, Casanova...)

This was taken right after we found her. She's about 6 months now and much bigger!

In September, I turned 23! I also had 3 wedding showers and a bachelorette party that month, so yeah, it was a good month!

Taken at one of our wonderful wedding showers!

October was my favorite month. If you don't know why, you're obviously new here (welcome!). On October 28th, Aaron and I said "I do." It was the most wonderful day! You can read about the details of that day here.



Due to work schedules, we decided to only take a mini-moon and hit up Dallas for the weekend. We had a great time relaxing, and then went to the Cowboys vs. Eagles game on Sunday. What a great game!


The last two months have been busy with Thanksgiving (and Aaron's brother getting married the next day), Christmas, working on our house, and just getting adjusted to living together. But, they have by far been my favorite months of the year!


This year I was able to cross #5, #16,  #35, and #57 off my bucket list! And I have one bucket list item that has expired: #63, catch the bouquet at a wedding. I tried so hard, but I never was able to catch one, and now I'm no longer eligible to try. :(

Overall, 2016 has been my favorite year yet. There were definitely some rough patches, but God has been faithful and given us blessing upon blessing in 2016. We couldn't be happier with where He has led us this year, but can't wait to find out where He leads us in 2017.

Cheers to the new year!

1 comment :